I am a Registered Instructor teaching the internationally acclaimed curriculum from the Kids Can Sew® & Fashion Design programme. Established in 1983, it is widely recognised as the No.1 programme in the world for teaching children how to sew.
Children learn how to safely use a sewing machine to create projects from the specially developed pattern packets. The curriculum takes students through the basics of sewing and dressmaking and how to follow a pattern. The Kids Can Sew® programme has 4 years/levels for your child to work through, gaining a certificate after completing each level before progressing onto the next one.
Sewing machines and equipment are provided (unless your child would prefer to learn on their own machine). Upon enrolment, each student will need his/her own pattern pack which lasts nine months to a year. Project materials will need to be purchased as your child progresses through the patterns.
FIRST YEAR STUDENTS:
Aimed at absolute beginners, each child will work from the “YEAR ONE” student workbook, starting with a bag to carry their sewing supplies and quickly moving on to making their own fashions. I wholly encourage the students to customize and embellish the basic designs so that they can create something truly original and unique to them.
They will learn how to: –
- safely use a sewing machine and sewing equipment
- understand sewing terms and directions
- use a paper pattern to cut out fabric
- make elastic casings, hems, facings, how to pivot and much more!
Learning in an informal environment helps each child to relax and focus on their project – they will typically produce a finished garment every 3-4 weeks which gives a huge sense of achievement.
Your child will see their skills grow week by week which boosts their self confidence.
This programme is not just for girls, boys can sew too – just look at Matt who won the Great British Sewing Bee! There is a Pattern Packet especially for boys which my 9 year old son is currently following.
- One hour per week at the same time each week, term time only
- Held in my home in an informal environment
- Provide personal attention with a maximum of 4 students per class
- One sewing machine per person
- Use my sewing machines & supplies
- A one-time registration fee of £29.99 per year which reserves your child’s seat in class and includes a Pattern Pack and Workbook (Due before class begins)
- £40 per 4 week block, payable in advance
See Timetable for classes.